Jobs, Internships, & Volunteering
Here is a listing of opportunities available at the Ecology Center. This includes positions for volunteers and interns! You can also find a listing of openings on our idealist profile.
The Lower East Side Ecology Center seeks an experienced fundraiser to lead the organization’s development efforts. This position will be a key member of the organization’s leadership team and work closely with the Executive Director and Board Chair to leverage the deep relationships and strong programming of this 30-year old community organization as it embarks on a new phase of growth. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious fundraiser who enjoys working directly with donors and is eager to ensure the sustainability of our city.
Founded in 1987, the Lower East Side Ecology Center’s mission is to create a more sustainable NYC by providing community-based recycling and composting programs, developing stewardship of green space, and increasing community awareness, involvement and youth development through environmental education programs.
This position offers an opportunity to work as part of a dynamic team and is best suited to someone who is an organized, strong collaborator that is able to work in a variety of environments. Job responsibilities include:
- Identify, cultivate and solicit both existing and prospective supporters of the Ecology Center (including foundations, corporations, and government support)
- Grow support from individuals capable of giving $10,000 or more to the organization through the design and implementation of a major donor program. Collaborate with the organization’s leadership (Executive Director and Board of Directors) and program staff to frame the best and most compelling asks in alignment with organizational priorities. Oversee fundraising and cultivation events (including one annual fundraising event)
- Design and manage annual appeals, e-newsletter, and website content
- Maintain contacts and donor database
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of three years of progressively responsible fundraising experience, with at least one year of experience interacting directly with donors
- Track record of accomplishment in achieving fundraising and/or business goals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Entrepreneurial, results-oriented, able to set priorities, highly organized
- Willingness to pitch in and do what’s needed to accomplish goals
- Able to work effectively in a small but fast-paced environment
- Strong office skills; Microsoft Office and Apple hardware proficiency required
- Occasional weekend and evening availability
- Understanding of web development/social media a plus
- Bachelors degree required
This is a full-time position that reports to the Executive Director with regular collaboration with Board members and program staff. Compensation commensurate with experience. To apply send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. The Lower East Side is an equal opportunity employer.
To stay in the know, sign up for our e-newsletter or check back for more opportunities. Thanks!
We welcome volunteers to our various programs.
East River Park Volunteers
Volunteer and do green stewardship with us at East River Park! Fill out this form for dates and times.
Gowanus E-Waste Warehouse
Share a skill, concept, or practice with the Gowanus E-Waste Warehouse community and public at large! Perpetuate consumer empowerment, creative reuse, and environmental consciousness. Utilize and alter our understanding of electronic waste. If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Please also take a look at our post about volunteering at the warehouse.
We host interns in several terms throughout the year. We currently are not accepting applications at this time. Please check back in a few months!