East River Park Fireboat House
East River Park Promenade at Grand St.
New York, NY 10002
Volunteer with one of New York City’s oldest community composting programs! The Lower East Side Ecology Center in partnership with the NYC Compost Project diverts over 400 tons of food scraps from landfills annually. Food scraps are collected locally and then processed into compost at the East River Park Compost Yard. The finished compost is then used for community greening projects to revitalize tree beds and soils across the city.
The Ecology Center and the NYC Compost Project currently seek volunteers to participate in one their Compost Volunteer Workdays every Wednesday in April from 1pm -3pm: 4/5, 4/12, 4/19, 4/26. Work gloves will be provided.
- Sifting and bagging finished compost
- General compost site maintenance such as cleaning up debris
- Site organization
- Other activities related to the composting operations
- Be at least 18 years old
- Wear closed-toed shoes and weather appropriate clothing that can get dirty. Work boots or rubber boots recommended.
- Be prepared for a moderate amount of physical activity (shoveling, lifting up to 30lb bags of compost, working up a sweat, etc.)
- Bring your own water bottle
DAYS AND TIMES:
Reoccurs every Wednesday in April from 1:00PM – 3:00PM.
- Wednesday, April 5, 1:00PM – 3:00PM
- Wednesday, April 12, 1:00PM – 3:00PM
- Wednesday, April 19, 1:00PM – 3:00PM
- Wednesday, April 26, 1:00PM – 3:00PM
Email Lia (Organics Recovery Coordinator) with the date you would like to volunteer.