Are you interested in learning about electronic waste? Would you like to help us reuse and recycle the large amount of e-waste generated by the individuals, nonprofit organizations, and schools of New York City?
If so, feel free to join the volunteer program at the Gowanus E-Waste Warehouse.
The warehouse is the largest non-municipal provider of e-waste recycling services in New York City. The warehouse accepts all varieties of consumer electronics, and reuses/recycles them in an environmentally and socially responsible way. Any New York resident, small business, or non-profit organization can drop-off unwanted electronics at this permanent e-waste collection center.
The warehouse hosts a volunteer program that allows individuals and groups to contribute to the e-waste reuse/recycling services that are provided by the warehouse. This program provides volunteers with information about e-waste, its impact on the environment, and how to better handle its reuse and recycling. Volunteers will provide assistance to all the operations that allow the organization to continue providing e-waste services to New Yorkers.
If you would like to participate in the volunteer program at the warehouse, please fill out our volunteer inquiry form.
Please take note of the following requirements for participation in the volunteer program:
- Volunteers should be interested in e-waste, and how to better reuse and recycle it – or be open to learn about it.
- Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older. For volunteers under the age of 18, a parent/guardian will have to provide approval for the volunteer to participate in this program.
- Volunteers must be respectful of others – warehouse personnel, volunteer supervisors, and other volunteers.
- Volunteers must be ready to work within a team, as well as individually, and to follow directions and instructions of supervisors.
- Volunteers should be ready to work in a warehouse environment – and to dress accordingly.
- Volunteers will go through training for each of the duties/workstations in which they will provide assistance.
Examples of duties include:
- Assisting with e-waste intake
- Sorting e-waste into categories
- Mobile devices
- Preparing e-waste for recycling
- Testing e-waste for reusability
- Cleaning reusable and vintage electronics